Spring 2015 Ecosystem-Based Management Workshop
On April 8, prior to the June 2015 RPB Meeting, the RPB hosted a day-long workshop on ecosystem-based management (EBM) at Holloway Commons on the University of New Hampshire (UNH) campus at Durham, NH.
Meeting Purpose and Tie to June RPB Meeting
Building on previous work that sought to define and implement EBM, this event helped to establish a framework and context for considering existing ocean planning projects and activities and served to define immediate and long-term next steps.
Approximately 80 people participated in the workshop, which featured six panelists who shared their knowledge about and experience in EBM:
- Dr. Michael Fogarty, NE Fisheries Science Center
- Chuckie Green, Mashpee Wampanoag Tribal Council
- Dr. Anamarija Frankic, University of Massachusetts-Boston
- Dr. Kathy Mills, Gulf of Maine Research Institute
- Dr. Andrew Rosenberg, Union of Concerned Scientists
- Brent Greenfield, National Ocean Policy Coalition
Participants considered the challenges of EBM at different scales, from local to regional, what elements the RPB is already advancing, and how EBM might apply within existing authorities. They also provided a number of specific ideas that the RPB could consider in their June meeting to advance EBM work and in the first regional plan.